Just over a week until the 39th Manila International Book Fair (MIBF)!
Since the MIBF only gets bigger and bigger every year, it may feel like there’s so much to keep up with. Don’t worry, this survival guide is all you will need to make the most out of this year’s MIBF.
1. Stay comfy. With two floors of exhibit space, you’re going to want to be as comfortable as possible. Cover more ground by wearing clothes you can easily move in, and bring a jacket in case it gets cold! And don’t forget: put on your trusty pair of rubber shoes for maximum comfort.
2. Prepare a list of books to buy ahead. Book shopping sprees are fun, but overspending certainly isn’t. Make a list of all the books you’re planning to buy beforehand to help yourself stay within budget.
3. Bring an extra bag (or two!) for your book haul. With the amount of publishers and distributors at the MIBF, there will for sure be lots of sales and discounted items in the booths you will visit. Bring sturdy tote bags or strollers so you won’t be struggling to lug out your new books out of the book fair.
4. Come early. The earlier you pay a visit to the MIBF, the easier it will be to navigate through the abundance of booths on the first and second floors. It’ll be less crowded, so you won’t be much work jumping from one booth to another!
5. Visit the second floor for children’s and YA books. The second floor of the exhibit area is a haven for novels and story books for younger readers. Explore the second floor to find exclusive sales and new releases to take home as pasalubong for your little siblings, or for your own reading enjoyment.
6. Get your books signed. Keep an eye out for book signings from local and international authors! Check out the social media pages of National Bookstore, Anvil Publishing House, PSICOM Publishing, and more and jot down your own list of absolutely-cannot-be-missed book signings.
7. Attend book launches. Many authors will be gracing the MIBF to celebrate the launch of their new books. Take note of launch times and dates and work your schedule around these MIBF-exclusive launches. Keep posted on details from local publishers like Visprint, Adarna House, Precious Hearts Romances, OMF Literature, and many more!
8. Represent your fandom. The MIBF weekend will be buzzing with activities for every fandom, so make sure you can be recognized. Whether you’re a Potterhead, Trekkie, Hamilfan, or other, take pride in your fandom to geek out with fellow fans and make friends across fandoms at the Pop Hub: Comic Splash x Fandom Fest on Sept. 15 and 16.
9. Attend talks and workshops. The MIBF isn’t just about coming in, buying books, and leaving. Learn something new by attending talks and panel discussions by authors, artists, and even enthusiastic fans, or get your hands dirty at the many art workshops lined up at the MIBF.
10. Support local artists. Aside from the many local authors at the MIBF, independent artists will be showcasing their works at the Artist Lane, located in the Pop Hub! Show your support by purchasing stickers, prints, fanmade art, and original works from various artists!
Don’t miss the MIBF on Sept. 12-16, and the Pop Hub: Comic Splash x Fandom Fest on Sept. 15 and 16 at the SMX Convention Center, Mall of Asia Complex, Pasay City. The MIBF is organized by Primetrade Asia, Inc. in partnership with Asian Catholic Communicators, Inc., Book Development Association of the Philippines, Philippine Booksellers Association, Inc., and the Overseas Publishers Representatives’ Association of the Philippines. For details, call 896-0661 or 896-0682, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or follow @ManilaBookFair on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.