The Ajinomoto® Umami Culinary Challenge (UCC) will once again open its doors to hundreds of young talents and provide them with a venue to learn from the best in the culinary and food service industry. The event will be held on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at the Hall 2, SMX Convention Center in SM Mall of Asia from 6:00 AM – 6:00 PM. Year after year, the contest successfully grows in size and coverage, gathering the Philippines’ most creative and innovative foodies, culinarians, professional and aspiring chefs.
According to Chef Russell Bautista, UCC Competition Head and Resident Chef of AJINOMOTO PHILIPPINES CORPORATION, “This one-day event is a golden opportunity for us to witness our future chefs showcase their skills and masterpieces. Ajinomoto hopes to contribute in discovering and maximizing their true potentials.” 51 schools with more than 400 student-competitors signed up for this year’s competition. UCC has expanded its reach in Luzon with participants coming from Ilocos, CALABARZON, NCR and CARAGA regions. Last year, UCC was also brought to Iloilo and Cebu to reach students in Visayas and Mindanao.
The Ajinomoto® Umami Culinary Challenge
- Araullo University PHINMA
- Calayan Educational Foundation Inc.
- Cavite State University
- Colegio de San Juan de Letran- Bataan
- Colegio de San Juan de Letran- Calamba
- Colegio de San Lorenzo
- Colegio San Agustin- Binan
- De La Salle Araneta University
- De La Salle University – Dasmariñas
- De Los Santos STI College
- Divine Mercy College Foundation Inc.
- Dominican College – San Juan City
- Emilio Aguinaldo College- Manila
- Emilio Aguinaldo College-Cavite
- Facilities Management College
- Far Eastern University Manila
- La Consolacion College Manila
- La Consolacion College of Tanauan
- Laguna College
- Laguna State Polytechnic College
- Lyceum of the Philippines University – Batangas
- Manila Tytana Colleges
- Manuel S. Enverga University Foundation
- Mariano Marcos State University
- Mariano Quinto Alarilla Polytechnic College
- National College of Business and Arts – Cubao
- National College Of Business And Arts – Fairview
- National College Of Business And Arts – Taytay, Rizal
- Our Lady of Fatima University – Quezon City
- Our Lady of Fatima Valenzuela
- Our Lady of Perpetual Succor College
- Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Marikina
- Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila
- Perpetual Help College Of Manila
- Philippine Cultural College
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines- San Juan
- Rogationist College
- Saint Michael’s College of Laguna
- San Juan De Dios Educational Foundation Inc. (College)
- Sienna College – Taytay Rizal
- Southeast Asian College, Inc.
- St. Paul University Quezon City
- The University of Manila
There are six (6) contest categories including a national cooking showdown. Hercor College from Capiz earned their chance to compete against the school who will win the Best Filipino Umami Dish-Luzon in the upcoming Manila leg of UCC. On the other hand, the school with the highest score from Luzon will be named the Umami Bowl Champion and bring home a kitchen classroom showcase. Distinguished judges include culinary and nutrition experts like Chef Sau del Rosario, Chef Eugene Raymundo, Chef Seiji Kamura, Chef James Antolin, Dr. Zenaida Narciso and Ms. Joan Sumpio to name a few.
Other event highlights include new and unique culinary competition categories, Eat Well, Live Well.® Cooking Class facilitated by well-known celebrity chefs and Umami and MSG Safety Presentation by Dr. Nemencio Nicodemus. This event is presented by AJINOMOTO PHILIPPINES CORPORATION and sponsored by La Germania, Solane, and Masflex KitchenPro.